Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 3:01 pm.
60 Days Later, The iPad Mini Is Still, Without A Doubt, The Real iPad
A quick follow-up to my iPad mini review from November.
- Having spent the last two months using the iPad mini daily, I’d confidently reiterate my claim that this is the “real iPad.” Picking up the big, heavy iPad every few weeks feels almost absurd now. The iPad mini’s lightness really makes it. (Would I prefer a bigger-screen iPad at the mini’s weight? Maybe, maybe not. But by the time that’s possible, the world may have changed in other ways, too.)
- The non-retina screen hasn’t been a problem at all — it’s easily worth the tradeoff. If anything, it just makes my iPhone display look even better after reading for a while on the iPad mini. Bonus!
- The iPad mini was great on the road — I took it to Japan for a week in December — but now I wish I’d bought a slightly bigger-capacity version. 32 GB sounds better. Stocking the 16 GB model with videos for two ~12-hour plane rides was an exercise in frugality, and forced me to go SD when I always prefer HD. I occasionally wish I’d bought the LTE version, too, but it’s not a big-enough problem to upgrade now.
- I’ve been using the smart cover more than I thought I would. (I bought a second, red one, which is more fun than the gray one I’d first ordered, and matches the black metal better.) So much for treating this thing like it’s disposable. The screen is even already scratched, and it’s bugging me a little.
- I’m still using my Macs for everything I did before, and my iPhone perhaps a bit less. I’ve actually tried to keep the iPad mini as work-resistent as possible — I still haven’t set up my email, and have only a skeleton selection of apps, mostly media.
Is the real answer just to replace both devices with a 6-inch iPhone? For now, I’m saying no. But I’m actually a little surprised by how much people — including one in particular that I trust! — say they like their Samsung Galaxy Note. Huh.
Wish list: Instagram for iPad (imagine if they’d spent the last month on that instead of the TOS crap), Google Maps for iPad, maybe a nice stand?